How to Grow A Business With No (Or Almost No) Budget

Yup - that's the challenge!
Three small businesses - each of which has grown organically through word of mouth, referrals and networking.
Now they're ready to take it to the next level, and we're going to see how far we can achieve that using social media and online marketing.
Follow this blog to find out what we learn!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Is Your Blog a Substitute for a Newsletter?

I get asked quite a lot whether clients should be blogging or sending an e-newsletter.

I guess the answer is, it depends (I love that answer!). Personally I'm using my blog as a substitute for a newsletter, and when I finish getting my website rebuilt (a whole different story), I plan to use an email sign-up box just as you would with an e-newsletter.

But, there can be a place for doing both, because the expectations from each medium are slightly different.

For the most part I would suggest that your blog is a more informal, conversational piece. Lot's of people are successfully monetizing their blogs, but for the most part, I think we're seeing it primarily as a tool with which to build relationships. This is a great place to build community and establish yourself as the friendly, helpful, neighbourhood expert in your field.

A newsletter, because it has the potential for different articles, is a little more corporate, more product-oriented and more of a sales piece. Having said that - always make sure that at least 80% of your newsletter is solid informational content. If it's just a sales vehicle, you'll start getting a whole bunch of opt-outs.

So, that's the either/or option, but if it fits your marketing plan, it's also worth considering both, partly because then you can segment both your message and your audience.

That's all for now. If, like me, you're in Calgary right now - enjoy the snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment